Reprogram the AC Compressor
By default, S2000s after 2001 will force you to run the AC compressor any time
you direct the air flow to the windshield. If you find this annoying you
can easily change the way it works.
This mod reprograms the AC controls so you can turn the AC compressor off when directing air flow to the windshield.
1) Turn the ignition switch on, but don't start the car.
2) Turn fan speed off.
3) Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area).
4) Turn vent knob to all the way to the left (panel position).
5) Turn the ignition switch off.
Change the Programming:
1) Hold down both the air recirculation button and a/c button while turning the
ignition switch on. Nothing lights up initially, keep waiting. After a few
seconds the orange air recirculation indicator on the button will start
2) Continue holding both buttons until the orange air recirculation indicator
stops flashing, then let go. You're done.
When you first direct the air to the windshield the AC compressor will be turned
on, but the system will now allow you to turn it off. The controls will
remember your last setting (AC on or off) even after you turn the ignition off.
But once you move the controls away from the windshield your last AC setting is
forgotten. The next time you direct the air to the windshield the AC
compressor will be turned on again but you will still have manual control and
can turn it off if you want.
|NOTE: If the battery is disconnected the car will forget you made this change.
|This is not a 'modifry' mod, the
above procedure was integrated into the AC controls from the factory.
I can only assume Honda planned ahead and expected some owners to complain
about the automatic AC feature.